Educational and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor Biomedical Science/Biology and Certification in Clinical Embryology
- Post Graduate in Clinical Embryology/reproductive science
- Atleast 5 years in embryology work
- Trained in embryo biopsy
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Determination of fertility levels of individuals.
- Collection of eggs and sperm (gametes) from patients during processing.
- Micromanipulation and testing of suitability for in vitro fertilization (IVF) and facilitation of fertilization.
- Using assisted reproductive technologies (ART) to help with infertility.
- Preservation of gametes and embryos for future use.
- Embryo culture and cryopreservation.
- Monitoring of embryo development.
- Embryo selection for transfer to recipient women, research or other intended use and for the implantation of Embryos into reproductive organs.
- Monitoring and maintaining cryobanks.
- Maintaining an understanding of human reproductive biology, embryology, infertility and assisted reproductive technology.
- Having knowledge of and complying with quality control, ethical issues and regulations surrounding gamete and embryo handling.
- Care and maintenance of equipment.
- Record keeping.